Plugin Author: TipTopPress
WordPress profile: TipTopPress
Last updated: April 17, 2021 (1 month ago)
Tested up to (WP version): WP 5.7.2
Rating: 5 (out of 5)
Category Posts Widget is a light widget designed to do one thing and do it well: display the most recent posts from a certain category.
Term and Category based Posts Widget
A premium version of that free widget available at tiptoppress.com created for big WordPress sites.
- Auto-sizing Grid layout
- Custom field support in the Template
- Shortcode support in the Template
- Image-Slider (or News-Ticker)
- Asymmetrical list layouts
- Full background images
- Masonry responsive grid layout
- More complex filter (ANY, NOT, AND, …)
- Custom Post Types, Events, Products support
- All free features
- E-Mail support
- More examples on the demo pages
- Template to arrange the post details.
- The Template text can be a post details placeholder, plain text, HTML or a font-icons.
- Font-icon support.
- ‘Load more’ button / Ajax API
- Item Title heading level buttons
- Excerpt length and item title in lines (line-clamp)
- Shortcode (Easily change all Shortcode options in the customizer).
- Date range filter
- New date format: Time since plublished
- Filter by post status: Published, scheduled, private.
- Multiple shortcodes at the same site or post.
- Add option for post offset (use two or more widgets after another).
- Admin UI: Buttons in the editor toolbar to insert shortcode.
- Option to touch device friendly “everything is a link”.
- For editing shortcode adds a Customizer link to the admin-bar (“With one click to the Customizer”).
- Set thumbnail width & height / image crop with CSS (object-fit).
- Fluid images (max-width in %).
- One thumb dimension can be left empty.
- Option to set mouse hover effects for post thumbnail.
- Set a default thumbnail.
- Hide widget text or text, if there is no post.
- Option to hide posts which have no thumbnail.
- Option exclude current post.
- Option show post author, comment’s count, post date.
- Admin UI: Set / find thumbnail size buttons: +, ¼, ½, 2x, -, ratio and Media sizes
- Admin UI: Buttons to easy add post details placeholder.
- Multi sites support.
- Full documentation
- Shortcode: Use [catposts] in the content and edit in the customizer
- Formatting date and time: See Formatting Date and Time
While using this plugin if you find any bug or any conflict, please submit an issue at
Github (If possible with a pull request).
Here You can control the Post Detail parts, which appears as part of the post item. All post detail will placed as placeholder. The text in the Template area can be a post details placeholder, plain text, HTML or HTML for SVG icons.
For more layout options please try our premium widget: Term and Category based Posts Widget.
For SVG font-icon HTML we recommend the WordPress Dashicons, which are included as default and can be used without any font-icon including.
Read more about Page Builder plugins at our FAQs
Use the option: ‘Disable only font style’ in the General panel.
Is just a single category selected in the Filter panel: Enable the check box “Make widget title link”.
Is ‘All categories’ selected in the Filter panel: Use the text field ‘Title link URL’.
Some of the features that were used in that version needs PHP 5.3+.
We apologies for any headache this may cause you, but frankly it is better for you to check with your hosting company how can you upgrade the PHP version that you are using, and not only in order to use this plugin. PHP 5.2 should be considered insecure now, and for your own sake you should upgrade.
PHP 5.2 is very old and any support for it from the php developers had ended more then 5 years ago php.net/eol.php.
We know there are peopel how use PHP 5.2 wordpress.org/about/stats and we can’t imagine this people will have no other problems, if they don’t update.
Check also the .htaccess file, if there is an entry for an older PHP version.
Front end of the widget with SVG font-icon support for post formats, hover effects and the Template text-area.
Template to arrange the post details with placeholders.
Edit the widget options with the customizer.
Use shortcode [catposts] in the content.
The widget configuration dialog.
Widget behaviour settings for each user.
Latest Change log entry:
- Wiget title heading level buttons
- Add sticky posts at start
categories, category, posts, posts-widget, widget
+ Jason's Comments
I use this widget for showing recent posts of the same category as the current post.