Plugin Author: Delicious Brains
WordPress profile: Delicious Brains
Last updated: January 3, 2018 (2 months ago)
Tested up to (WP version): WP 4.9.4
Rating: 5 (out of 5)
When moving your WordPress site to a new domain or server, you will likely run into a need to run a search/replace on the database for everything to work correctly. Fortunately, there are several plugins available for this task, however, all have a different approach to a few key features. This plugin consolidates the best features from these plugins, incorporating the following features in one simple plugin:
- Serialization support for all tables
- The ability to select specific tables
- The ability to run a “dry run” to see how many fields will be updated
- No server requirements aside from a running installation of WordPress
- WordPress Multisite support
Time-saving features available in the Pro version:
- View exactly what changed during a search/replace
- Backup and import the database while running a search/replace
- Priority email support from the developer of the plugin
- Save or load custom profiles for quickly repeating a search/replace in the future
- Support and updates for 1 year
The search and replace functionality is heavily based on interconnect/it’s great and open-source Search Replace DB script, modified to use WordPress native database functions to ensure compatibility.
Want to contribute?
Feel free to open an issue or submit a pull request on GitHub.
Install Better Search Replace like you would install any other WordPress plugin.
- Login to your WordPress admin and go to Plugins -> Add New
- Type “Better Search Replace” in the search bar and select this plugin
- Click “Install”, and then “Activate Plugin”
- Unzip the plugin and upload the “better-search-replace” folder to your ‘wp-content/plugins’ directory
- Activate the plugin through the Plugins menu in WordPress
Using Better Search Replace
Once activated, Better Search Replace will add a page under the “Tools” menu page in your WordPress admin.
Is my host supported?
Yes! This plugin should be compatible with any host.
Can I damage my site with this plugin?
Yes! Entering a wrong search or replace string could damage your database. Because of this, it is always adviseable to have a backup of your database before using this plugin.
How does this work on WordPress Multisite?
When running this plugin on a WordPress Multisite installation, it will only be loaded and visible for Network admins. Network admins can go to the dashboard of any subsite to run a search/replace on just the tables for that subsite, or go to the dashboard of the main/base site to run a search/replace on all tables.
How can I use this plugin when changing URLs?
If you’re moving your site from one server to another and changing the URL of your WordPress installation, the approach below allows you to do so easily without affecting the old site:
- Backup the database on your current site
- Install the database on your new host
- On the new host, define the new site URL in the
wp-config.phpfile, as shown here
- Log in at your new admin URL and run Better Search Replace on the old site URL for the new site URL
- Delete the site_url constant you added to
wp-config.php. You may also need to regenerate your .htaccess by going to Settings -> Permalinks and saving the settings.
More information on moving WordPress can be found here.
Latest Change log entry:
- Fix: Only one table searched on some environments (props @Ov3rfly)
- Tweak: Update text in sidebar
database, search and replace, search replace, search replace database, update urls
+ Jason's Comments
I have switched to an alternative Search and Replace plugin which gives more details of the search result.