Plugin Author: FirelightWP
WordPress profile: FirelightWP
Last updated: February 6, 2024 (3 weeks ago)
Tested up to (WP version): WP 6.4.3
Rating: 5 (out of 5)
Easy FancyBox is the most popular lighbox plugin for WordPress, active on over 200,000 WordPress installations. It adds a lightweight and flexible lightbox for viewing images and other media on your website.
After activation, links to images, galleries, and other media will be automatically opened in a new lightbox that floats over the web page.
– Automatic detection of images
– Automatic detection of galleries
– Customize options for Lightbox appearance, style, and behavior
– Opens all common image formats including webp and svg
– Opens WordPress core galleries (“Link to” must be set to “Media File”)
– Opens videos from Youtube, Vimeo, and Dailmotion
– Opens PDF files (embed with object tag, iframe, external Google Docs Viewer)
– Opens NextGEN galleries (instructions)
– Opens content from external web pages (instructions)
– Create easy modals and popup boxes (instructions)
– Open image maps (instructions)
– Open lightbox from WordPress menu items (instructions)
– Support for Jetpack Infinite Scroll
– Support for WordPress Multsite (see Installation instructions)
See FAQ’s for instructions to manage YouTube, Dailymotion and Vimeo movies (and similar services) and tips to make inline content display in a FancyBox overlay.
PRO LIGHTBOX FEATURES
For advanced options and priority support, there is a pro lighbox plugin extension available. See Pro lightbox features below.
- Priority support
- Slideshow effect for galleries (autorotation)
- Spotlight effect for the light box overlay
- FacetWP, Gravity Forms and TablePress compatibility
- More lightbox styling options: rounded corners, inline content background and text colors
- More automatic popup options: triggered by URL hash, first link by media type, hide popup after first visit
- Pass dedicated light box setting per media link via link class (see Metadata instructions)
- More elastic (easing) popup effects on open and close
- Show/hide image title on mouse hover
- Fine-tune media link and gallery autodetection to match your theme source markup to allow galleries per post for example
For these additional features, you need to install the Pro lightbox plugin alongside the free lightbox plugin.
GDPR / EU Privacy
This plugin does not collect any data and does not set any browser cookies. However, the PRO version offers an option to disable the automatic popup after the first visit, which needs a browser cookie. This cookie stores the visitors first website visit timestamp and path on the client side. It is not shared nor is any data stored server side or elsewhere.
Known conflicts & issues
Basically, it is a fancy way of presenting images, movies, portable documents and inline content on your website. For example, if you have scaled-down images in your posts which are linked to the original large version, instead of opening them on a blank page, FancyBox opens those in a smooth overlay. Visit FancyBox for more information and examples.
This plugin uses an updated version of the original FancyBox 1.3.4, better adapted to the mobile era.
First, make sure that image thumbnails in your posts and pages are linked to their full size counterpart directly. Open any post with thumbnail images in it for editing and select the first thumbnail. Click the Edit Image button that appears and choose Link To: Media File. From now on, clicking that thumbnail should open the full size version in FancyBox.
The same thing goes for WordPress Galleries. Choose Link To: Media File when inserting a gallery tag.
There is no new settings page but there are many options you can change. You will find a new FancyBox section on Settings > Media. To see the default, check out the example under Screenshots …
See the advanced Easy FancyBox FAQ’s.
Example image with Overlay caption. This is the default way Easy FancyBox displays images. Other options are Inside and the old Outside.
Example of a YouTube movie in overlay.
Latest Change log entry:
- Added .jpeg to autodetect extensions
- Added plugin activation timestamp
gallery, image, lightbox, modal, photo