Plugin Author: The AddThis Team
WordPress profile: The AddThis Team
Last updated: November 28, 2017 (3 months ago)
Tested up to (WP version): WP 4.9.4
Rating: 4 (out of 5)
AddThis Smart Layers helps you get more of your content shared, grow your following on social media, and increase your visitors’ time on site. Smart Layers includes share buttons, follow buttons, and content recommendation tools.
Here are some tips for maximizing content engagement with our Smart Layers plugin:
- Add share buttons and follow buttons to make it easier for your visitors to share your content and follow you on social media
- Increase on-site engagement with your visitors by showing them related and trending content
- Easily turn tools on/off and customize their appearance by choosing from four different themes: light, gray, dark, and transparent
You can also register with AddThis to access even more share, follow, and recommended content tools, and get analytics that show how they are performing. After you register, these analytics are accessible by logging into your AddThis.com account and visiting your AddThis dashboard. Analytics include your top shared content, referring social networks, and more.
Check out our other plugins!
We also have plugins specifically available for:
For our Website Tools plugin, tools are configured in your AddThis account on AddThis.com.
For an automatic installation through WordPress:
- Go to the ‘Add New’ plugins screen in your WordPress admin area
- Search for ‘AddThis’
- Click ‘Install Now’ and activate the plugin
For a manual installation via FTP:
- Upload the addthis folder to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ screen in your WordPress admin area
To upload the plugin through WordPress, instead of FTP:
- Upload the downloaded zip file on the ‘Add New’ plugins screen (see the ‘Upload’ tab) in your WordPress admin area and activate.
What services does AddThis support?
AddThis supports over 200 social sharing services, and over 60 follow services.
Is AddThis free?
Many of our tools are free, but Pro users get the benefit of exclusive widgets, priority support and deeper analytics.
Do I need to create an account?
No, you do not need to create an account in order to control a limited number of AddThis tools from within WordPress. In order to use more AddThis tools, more options and see your site’s analytics you will need to create an account with AddThis. It requires an email address and name, but that’s it.
Why use AddThis?
- Ease of use. AddThis is easy to install, customize and localize. We’ve worked hard to make a suite of simple and beautiful website tools on the internet.
- Performance. The AddThis menu code is tiny and fast. We constantly optimize its behavior and design to make sharing a snap.
- Peace of mind. AddThis gathers the best services on the internet so you don’t have to, and backs them up with industrial strength analytics, code caching, active tech support and a thriving developer community.
- Flexibility. AddThis can be customized via an API, and served securely via SSL. Share just about anything, anywhere your way.
- Global reach. AddThis sends content to 200+ sharing services 60+ languages, to over 2 billion unique users in countries all over the world.
What PHP version is required?
This plugin requires PHP 5.2.4 or greater and is tested on the following versions of PHP:
Who else uses AddThis?
Over 15,000,000 sites have installed AddThis. With over 2 billion unique users, AddThis is helping share content all over the world, in more than sixty languages.
Are there filters?
Yes! There are lots of filters in this plugin.
Filters allow developers to hook into this plugin’s functionality in upgrade-safe ways to define very specific behavior by writing their own PHP code snippets.
Developer documentation on our filters is available. This documentation lists all the filters for our plugins.
Are there widgets?
Yes! There are widgets available for all AddThis inline tools (the ones that don’t float on the page).
If you register with an AddThis Pro account, you’ll also see widgets for our Pro tools.
Developer documentation on our widgets is also available. This documentation lists all the widgets for our plugins.
Are there shortcodes?
Yes! There are lots of shortcodes in this plugin. There are shortcodes are available for all AddThis inline tools (the ones that don’t float on the page).
If you register with an AddThis Pro account, the shortcodes for our Pro tools will work for you, too.
See our documentation on our shortcodes. This documentation lists all the shortcodes for our plugins.
Latest Change log entry:
- Updated error messaging that is no longer relevant regarding related post tools
- Tested compatibility with WordPress 4.9
addthis, Bookmark, bookmarking, email sharing, mobile sharing