Plugin Author: MonsterInsights
WordPress profile: MonsterInsights
Last updated: February 20, 2018 (1 day ago)
Tested up to (WP version): WP 4.9.4
Rating: 4 (out of 5)
Google Analytics Plugin for WordPress
We believe that you shouldn’t have to hire a developer to add Google Analytics to your website. That’s why we built MonsterInsights, a complete Google Analytics for WordPress plugin that’s EASY and POWERFUL.
MonsterInsights allow you to connect your WordPress website with Google Analytics, so you can see how visitors find and use your website, so you can keep them coming back. Simply put, we show you the stats that matter.
With almost 15 million downloads, MonsterInsights is the most popular Google Analytics plugin for WordPress.
At MonsterInsights, user experience is our #1 priority. That’s why we make it extremely easy for you to connect and view your Google Analytics reports from inside your WordPress dashboard. Our tracking settings and workflows make MonsterInsights the most beginner friendly google analytics plugin in the market.
This plugin is the lite version of the MonsterInsights Pro plugin that comes with all the analytics features you will ever need including ads tracking, ecommerce tracking, custom dimensions tracking, popular post tracing, events tracking, and tons more. Click here to purchase the best Google Analytics plugin for WordPress now!
We took the pain out of connecting with Google Analytics and made it easy. Here’s why over 1 million smart business owners, designers, and developers love MonsterInsights, and you will too!
Quick & Easy Google Analytics Setup
Easily setup Google Analytics on your site without touching any code. If you can point-and-click, then you can use MonsterInsights.
Google Analytics for WordPress plugin by MonsterInsights allows you to track your blog visitors easily and always stays up to date with the newest features in Google Analytics.
It just works. Really easy way to insert Google Analytics tracking code and keep it there when switching themes. No need to copy/paste code anywhere. This is the best way to handle Google Analytics in WordPress.
Google Analytics Dashboard + Real Time Stats
MonsterInsights makes analytics easy. You can see your site’s performance at a glance with our Google Analytics Dashboard right inside your WordPress admin area.
With Google Analytics, there’s no need to wait till the next day to find out about traffic spikes or potential problems. You can get real time stats, so you can unlock the maximum potential revenue for each customer.
Works everytime! This plugin has worked with every version of WordPress I’ve ever used. Very reliable.
Universal Tracking + Page Level Analytics
MonsterInsights uses universal tracking, so you can track your users across devices and platforms. With demographics and interest reports, you also get a better understanding of your audience.
The page level analytics show you exactly which pages and sections on your website are the most popular.
You can also see how the users are finding your website, so you can better focus your marketing efforts.
Analytics for PROs! This plugin brings it all, great features and helpful info to easily see what you are doing.
Frank van der Sluijs
eCommerce and Ads Tracking
MonsterInsights Ecommerce addon helps you add Google Analytics Ecommerce tracking to your WordPress WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads store.
You can add eCommerce tracking with literally 1 click, and start tracking popular products, average order value, ecommerce conversion rate, and more.
With our Ads tracking addon, publishers can easily track the performance of their Google Adsense inside their Google Analytics dashboard.
Custom Dimensions, Events Tracking, and More
MonsterInsights allow you to take full advantage of all the powerful Google Analytics features such as custom dimensions, file download tracking, outbound link tracking, events tracking, performance tracking, and more.
I like how simple it is for client users and how I can turn on the advanced features for myself to get all the details right.
Full MonsterInsights Feature List
- Quick and Easy Setup – Easily setup Google Analytics for WordPress with just a few clicks (no coding needed)
- Real Time Stats – See real time stats inside your Google Analytics dashboard.
- Universal Tracking – Get better insights with Google Analytics’ universal tracking.
- Google Analytics Dashboard – See the stats that matter from right inside your WordPress dashboard.
- Ecommerce Tracking – Add Google Analytics tracking for WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads store.
- Ads Tracking – Track your Google Adsense ads with Google Analytics.
- File Download Tracking – Enable file download stats with just a click.
- Link Tracking – Track your outbound link clicks with Google Analytics.
- Events Tracking – Track custom button and banner clicks with Google Analytics.
- Custom Dimensions Tracking – Enable Google analytics custom dimensions tracking for WordPress.
- Author Tracking – See who’s the most popular author with Author tracking.
- Popular Post Tracking – See which blog post and section is the most popular.
- Custom Post Type Tracking – Track the performance of your custom post types.
- Referral Tracking – See how visitors are finding your website to better focus your marketing efforts.
- Performance Tracking – Control the performance rate and sample rate for your Google Analytics report.
- Enhanced Link Attribution – Get better analytics with enhanced link attribution.
- Google Analytics Tools – Helpful tools for Google analytics.
- Want us to add something else? Suggest a feature and we’ll get it added!
Simple, yet powerful. Amazing piece of plugin, does exactly what expected and even more.
Popular Google Analytics Tutorials
- How to setup Google Analytics with WordPress
- How to Login to Google Analytics
- How to Start a WordPress Blog (step by step)
Note for Beginners
Like all WordPress plugins, Google Analytics by MonsterInsights is only available for self-hosted WordPress sites. This means you will need to switch from WordPress.com to WordPress.org if you want to use this plugin on your WordPress site.
For more details, see this infographic on self hosted WordPress.org vs free WordPress.com
If you like this plugin, then consider checking out our other projects:
This plugin would not be possible without the help and support of WPBeginner, the largest WordPress resource site. You can learn from our free WordPress Tutorials like how to install WordPress, choose the best WordPress hosting, WordPress glossary, and more.
You can also learn about other best WordPress plugins.
For all frequently asked questions, and their answers, check the MonsterInsights Knowledge base.
- Install Google Analytics for WordPress by MonsterInsights either via the WordPress.org plugin repository or by uploading the files to your server. (See instructions on how to install a WordPress plugin)
- Activate Google Analytics for WordPress by MonsterInsights.
- Navigate to the Insights tab in your WordPress admin menu and configure the plugin.
- Want more features? Purchase MonsterInsights Pro!
Google Authentication wizard
Custom Dimensions (a Pro feature)
eCommerce Tracking (a Pro feature)
Latest Change log entry:
- New: Completely revamped reports with a new UI.
- New: Ability to oAuth at the network level, and have that oAuth apply as the default to all subsites (can still override at a subsite level).
- New: Ability to enter a license key at the network level, and have that oAuth apply as the default to all subsites (can still override at a subsite level).
- New: Completely new oAuth flow, that handles more errors and allows for future growth. Importantly, your existing sites will continue to track (the UA code is manually moved in the upgrade process), but you will need to re-authenticate (a quicker, and even easier process in 7.0) to enable our all new reporting area. New permissions requested to allow for significantly expanded reporting (and some upcoming reports).
- New: Ability to see the site traffic graphs in both pageviews and sessions.
- New: You can now choose between Last 30 days, Last 7 days, or any date range of your choosing if you’re a paid MonsterInsights user!
- New: Compare site traffic to the previous period.
- New: Completely revamped overview report. You’ll find lots of new data has been added. Also, all of that data changes as you use change the date ranges (a Pro exclusive feature).
- New: A brand new eCommerce report for Pro users
- New: A brand new Search Console/Queries report for paid MonsterInsights users. This allows you to see which terms you are ranking for on Google and how Google searches are driving your site traffic, along with clickthrough rates.
- New: A brand new Publishers report for Plus level users allowing you to see breakdown of important site metrics.
- New: A lot of behind the scenes work enabling more reports to be added in the future. Stay on the lookout as we start significantly expanding the breadth and depth of reporting this year.
- New: A revised general settings panel which is significantly faster to load.
- New: Significant performance improvements. We completely top-to-bottom audited MonsterInsights. It’s now 286% faster in the admin and 161% faster in the frontend.
- New: Completely new internal notification handling has been implemented. This should make it clearer if you need to address anything, and if so make it less tedious to figure out exactly what.
- Tweak: We’ve changed the verbage for what users see if they are logged in as a site administrator on the frontend to make it more clear MonsterInsights doesn’t track site administrators to prevent them from skewing their own Google Analytics data (particularly demographics data) and to encourage them to use the Incognito Mode/Private browsing mode of their web browser (or log out) if they want to view the Google Analytics code.
- Tweak: The URL used for the measurement protocol calls has been updated per Google guidance.
- Tweak: We’ve discovered some strings that weren’t translatable, and fixed that.
- Tweak: Based on your feedback, we’ve clarified the titles and descriptions used in some of the settings to make it more clear as to what they do.
- Tweak: When first adding a license key, in rare cases sometimes the addons permissions didn’t sync. While extremely rare, and while MonsterInsights would automatically fix itself within 6 hours, we’ve added a system that eliminates this from happening, and made sure that there’s also a way to fix this manually if this need arises.
- Tweak: The countries map has been changed to a countries list (sorted). This means we can remove jVectorMap which had some issues in mapping, and also make it easier for you to see your top countries data.
- Removed: Support for the long deprecated PHP events tracking has been removed. We’ve had dismissable (and then later non-dismissable) persistent admin notices for over a year now offering a 1 click update. The PHP events tracking, a stayover from the Yoast years, caused a lot of issues and couldn’t track everything on a page. It could only track things in specific WordPress areas like the_content and widgets, but couldn’t track anything outside of that, or things that were added to the DOM after WordPress rendered the page. Our JS events tracking system can track all-the-things on all parts of a page, and is far more accurate and easier for us to maintain. Maintaining a gigantic PHP regex-based system took a lot of our development time up, and based on our opt-in tracking data, almost no one uses it anymore (which is good, because JS tracking is so much better). Users still using it will be automatically switched to JS events tracking on update (which requires no changes to switch to using it).
- Removed: Many deprecated filters from the Yoast era have been removed. After maintaining backwards compatibility for over a year now, and also issuing a notice every time those deprecated filters were used, it’s time to pull the plug on these to allow our tracking system to be able to be simplified in the future. We have a complete document in our documentation for the 6.0 release that details exactly how to update for each of these filters.
analytics, Analytics dashboard, google analytics, google analytics dashboard, google analytics widget